Manuka Honey - 6 Benefits and Uses
Manuka honey is native to New Zealand and has recently gained popularity due to its umpteen benefits. Manuka Honey is produced by bees that pollinate the flower Leptospermum scoparium, commonly known as the Manuka bush.
Its antibacterial properties set them apart from traditional honey. The active ingredient, Methylglyoxal, is likely responsible for these antibacterial effects.
The buck doesn’t stop here. Apart from having antibacterial properties, Manuka honey has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant benefits as well.
Traditionally, Original Manuka honey has been used for soothing sore throats, wound healing, improving oral hygiene by preventing tooth decay, and improving digestive issues.
Here are 6 benefits of Manuka honey backed up by science
1. Benefits in Wound Healing - Since ancient times, honey has been used to treat several skin treatments in the treatment for wounds, boils, burns, and sores
The US FDA has approved Manuka honey as an option for wound treatment. Manuka honey maintains a moist wound environment along with a protective barrier, this prevents infections in the wound and promotes healing due to its antioxidative nature.
A study in Saudi Arabia found that Manuka honey wound dressings, when used along with conventional wound treatment, healed diabetic ulcers more effectively than conventional treatment alone.
A study conducted in Greece and published in the International Wound Journal showed that Manuka honey wound dressings reduced healing time and also disinfected the wounds in patients with diabetic foot.
2. Promote Oral Hygiene and Health- HAAD's 2015 oral health statistics showed that 19.3% of Abu Dhabi residents suffer from periodontal disease and 35.9% from dental caries. In order to avoid tooth decay and keep the gums healthy, it’s important to minimize bad oral bacteria that cause plaque formation.
Other published Studies show that Manuka honey affect and destroys the oral bacteria associated with plaque formation, gum inflammation, and tooth decay.
One study has examined the effects of chewing or sucking on a honey chew reducing plaque and gingivitis. The Brand Wildcape Manuka honey chews are similar to a chewy honey candy.
The idea of consuming honey to aid in good oral health may seem counterintuitive, as it may probably be associated with the fact that consuming too many sweets can lead to cavities. However, unlike candy made of refined sugar, Manuka honey’s potent antibacterial effects make it unlikely to contribute to cavities or tooth decay.
3. Soothes Sore Throat - New Zealand Wildcape Manuka Honey umf 20 is known to help in providing relief to a sore throat. Its antiviral and antibacterial properties help in reducing inflammation and attacking the bacteria that cause pain. Not only does Manuka honey attack harmful bacteria, but it also coats the inner lining of the throat to provide a soothing effect.
A recent study on patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment for head and neck cancer observed the effects of Manuka honey consumption on Streptococcus mutans, which is the type of bacteria responsible for sore throats. Interestingly, researchers have found a significant decrease in Streptococcus mutans after the consumption of Manuka honey.
4. Improves Digestion - Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common digestive disorder worldwide and even here in the UAE. According to the IBS Global Impact Report, in 2016, the Middle East and African population had a prevalence rate of irritable bowel syndrome of 5.8%. IBS symptoms include constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and irregular bowel movements.
There are supporting research that shows regularly consuming Manuka honey may help decrease these symptoms.
5. Helps in Cystic Fibrosis - Cystic fibrosis is a disorder, usually inherited. It causes damage to the lungs and can also affect the digestive system and other organs. Upper respiratory infections are common in people with cystic fibrosis and Manuka.
Once again research shows that Manuka honey is effective in treating cystic fibrosis.
6. Treatment of Acne - Acne is usually associated with hormonal changes, however, it could be due to poor diet, stress, and an unhealthy lifestyle as well.
The antimicrobial properties of Manuka honey, when used along with a low-pH product, are very beneficial in fighting acne.
Manuka honey also has anti-inflammatory properties, hence it decreases acne as well as improves the healing process.
WildCape Manuka Honey UMF 20 has high antibactrerial benefits which help you for gut problem, skin infection, heal wounds, boils & burns. Deep color and greate flavor honey can make your toast better testy. Order online Manuka honey in Dubai and UAE from Fitaminat.
Manuka honey is unique and a type of best natural honey with special healing properties. Its most notable attribute is the effect it has on wound management and healing.
Manuka honey also has antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat several ailments as mentioned above, hence providing a better route to health through its natural properties.Shop for Manuka Honey on FITAMINAT TODAY!